Schools and Tuition for Dyslexic Children
Working across the UK, The Family Psychologist understand that parents need honest, open answers when making decisions about what is right for their family; which is precisely what they aim to provide.
After many years working within both the health and education sectors, The Family Psychologist's lead clinical psychologist, Dr Rachel Johnson, set out to offer a wide range of services to support the behavioural, emotional and social development of children, from birth through to sixth form and the workplace.
As a Chartered Clinical Psychologist specialising in Early Years, Children and Family work, as well as in the assessment of specific learning difficulties and dyslexia, Dr Johnson and her team provide a varied range of services to meet the needs of the families and professionals who approach them for support. These include:
- Educational assessment & Dyslexia testing (for adults | children) in your own home, classroom or workplace
- Indepth Cognitive profiling, reporting, and guidance
- Behavioural & Emotional intervention for difficulties at home or in the classroom
- Early Years work, with parents of infants & pre-schoolers for concerns around sleeping, feeding, potty training or separation anxiety
- "Incredible Years" Positive Parenting groups - helping parents build happy families and bright futures
- Medical-legal (medico-legal) and Family Court assessments and reports
Child psychologist and educational assessments at: 60 Friar St, Droitwich plus we also cover Birmingham, Staffordshire, Warwickshire and West Midlands
- a full assessment with our qualified doctor
- daily computer-generated exercises carried out at home
- regular progress assessments
The Dore Programme lasts between 12 and 18 months and has been successfully completed by many thousands of people since it was developed over 10 years ago. Now, DORE is the trading name of Dynevor CIC, a social enterprise, which has owned the rights to the DORE Programme since 2009. The Programme is also an intervention of choice for SEN pupils in several UK schools.
To find out more and to learn what others are saying about Dore, visit our web site www.dore.co.uk. If you’d like to chat to one of our experienced Programme Consultants, please call 0333 123 0100.
Memory MotivatorsMulti-Sensory Learning Ltd., Highgate House, Creaton, Northamptonshire
All Memory Motivator products are quality, educational activities that have been selected to increase self-confidence and stimulate the learning process in reading, spelling and arithmetic. Products include: handwriting activities, spelling games, software, numeracy resources and Active Learning Place Mats. The Active Learning Place Mats were short-listed for ‘BEST GIFT FOR KIDS’ Gift of the Year 2004!
Fax: 01604 505001
The Home School of Stoke Newington46 Alkham Road, London N16 7AA
Children often fail to fulfil their potential for a number of reasons, such as bullying or dyslexia, it is these children who need the help we provide.
- Full national curriculum.
- Staff to pupil ratio of 1:4.
- One to one dyslexia tuition.
- Class sizes not exceeding eight.
Hampstead Dyslexia Clinic78 Oakwood Road, London NW11 6RN
The emphasis is on caring and encouragement. Where possible the pupil is matched for needs and personality with the appropriate therapist.
- Diagnostic and Educational Psychology Assessments.
- Dyslexia Therapy.
- Handwriting Skills.
- Auditory Integration Training.
- Study Skills, Revision Techniques and Exam Tuition.
- Maths Assessments and Tuition.
- Panic Attacks
The David Mulhall Centre was opened in 1995 and has since successfully treated thousands of children and adults. Please phone, write or e-mail for an initial consultation.
Thorpe Dyslexia CentreRed House, High Street, Thorpe-Le-Soken, Clacton-on-Sea CO16 0EA
- Assessments for children from the age of 7 upwards.
- Advice and Support, if we can’t help, we will advise you where to get the best help.
- One-2-One tuition.
- Caring, fun lessons
- Tuition hours 9:30am-7:30pm
For full information please contact us on (01255) 861705
Fairley House School
We emphasise the development of the whole child, helping him or her to gain confidence and self-esteem through an encouraging and nurturing ethos. The children have plenty of opportunities to develop sound academic and social skills and to become independent.
30 Causton Street
(020) 7630 3750
220 Lambeth Road
(020) 7630 3789
CReSTeD provides a Register of schools approved for their dyslexia provision. The Register is supplied free of charge to parents and is updated twice a year. Schools are divided into four categories to help parents and their advisors match the provision to the pupil’s requirements.
For a copy of the Register, link to our web site and complete the application form. Alternatively just phone, or email with your address details.
Registered Charity: 1052103
We provide a unique combination of curricular and pastoral support. Every pupil is seen as equal with individual talents and abilities. Developing these talents is central to the education we provide. Our experienced team, most of whom have specialist dyslexia training, will do all they can to help pupils overcome their problems in the way that best suits the individual child and help them fulfil their full potential. We maintain average class sizes at below six, and one to one mentoring is available when needed.
Frewen College is one of a few schools which is a charity run by an independent educational trust.
The Unicorn School20 Marcham Road, Abingdon OX14 1AA
The classes are small and every child has half an hour daily of individual tuition. Our staff are a highly dedicated team of specialists who in addition to catering for the educational needs of the dyslexic child, also aim to meet emotional and social needs by providing a friendly environment.
As well as emphasis on numeracy and literacy and most other aspects of the National Curriculum we also encourage development in creative, imaginative or sporting abilities.
Please contact us for more information on how the Unicorn School teaches those with dyslexia.
Dyslexia Action is an educational charity, founded in 1972, for the assessment and teaching of people with dyslexia and training for specialist teachers.
Dyslexia Action provides a national network of 27 main centres and some 150 linked learning centers, offering individual assessments by Chartered Psychologists and qualified Teacher Assessors and screening for schools, colleges and other organisations. Tuition is provided in literacy, mathematics and study skills using our own highly successful teaching methods and materials. Dyslexia Action carries out over 7,000 assessments each year and currently provides specialist tuition for over 3,000 children in its Centres, outposts and school units. The effectiveness of Dyslexia Action teaching methods and materials has been warmly praised by thousands of grateful children and their parents.
Please log onto our website for your local centre.
Head Office: Park House, Wick Road, Egham, Surrey
Fax: (01784) 222333
- Educational / Psychological Assessment
- Therapeutic support to children and teenagers
- Parenting support
- Consultation to schools
We can help with a range of emotional, behavioural, social and learning issues that may be contributing to a child or teenager feeling unhappy, lacking in confidence or feeling out of control. Following psychological assessment, the child psychologist works with parents so that individual treatment plans can be developed to support them and their families in understanding and addressing their difficulties while at the same time acknowledging and nurturing their relative strengths, in order to help them to reach their potential.
Please see our website for parenting tips and more information about who we are, how we can help and what we offer.
You are also welcome to call us for a free telephone consultation to see how we can help prior to booking an appointment.
To contact Leanne Cowan directly please phone 07929 972291
Established for over 30 years as private tutors, Top Tutors is one of the largest providers of private tutors in London and the South East of England.
Top Tutors is wholly owned by the national educational charity Academy of Youth started by Sir Tim Brighouse. They run a wide range of education and leadership programmes for young people
- All our tutors are checked through the DBS (Disclosure and Barring Service, previously called CRB)
- High quality tutor registration and evaluation process to ensure we have the Top Tutors with degree level qualifications or above.
- No registration fee or commitment for course of lessons – pay as you go
- Offer ALL subjects at ALL levels
- A personal approach from our team to discuss all your tutoring requirements. (We are not a call centre)
- Successfully matched over 150,000 children with tutors over the past 30 years
- Over 2,000 high quality tutors in London and the South East
Backed by a national education charity, University of the First Age committed to developing potential. Develop their true potential with the help of a one to one private tutor.
The New Eccles Hall SchoolQuidenham, Norwich, Norfolk NR16 2NZ
Our Individual Tuition Unit provides strong support for pupils with special educational needs and we have many years' experience in helping with dyslexia, dyspraxia, aspergers, Specific Learning Difficulties and Communication Difficulties.
Sylvia Knight Dip.C.G., Dip A. Psych.93 Byng Drive, Potters Bar, Herts EN6 1UJ
Retired teacher offers private or paired tuition for children aged 4-11. Preparation for SATS and selective tests. Special programmes for specific learning difficulties such as dyslexia or dyspraxia using tapes and varied educational materials.
Gentle support encourages confidence and steady progression. Being a qualified teacher, counsellor and psychodynamic psychologist Sylvia Knight offers understanding therapy and a way forward for all members of families under stress, often marked by children's difficulties at school. Poor results, bullying and absenteeism may follow moving home, bereavement or relationship problems.
‘All children should learn to touch type’ Daily Telegraph ....
- Close to London
- Suitable for anyone in the family - ages 7 - 107
- Uses several types of software to meet all needs.
- Courses run for four mornings. Cost £215. Family & early booking discounts
- Relaxed stress free holiday course
- Teacher is a qualified special needs tutor and typing trainer
- Recommended by the Richmond Dyslexic Association but suitable for anyone
- Visit the website below for further details
- Private tuition for students with learning difficulties, 11+ and up to 18 also available
Maple Hayes Dyslexia SchoolAbnalls Lane, Lichfield, Staffs WS13 8BL
Maple Hayes has the reputation of being a caring and friendly school which prides itself on its purposeful, structured, and well-disciplined environment where teachers know the individual, encouraging pupils to take pride in all they do and the results they achieve, at whatever level of their ability. Small classes ensure maximum individual attention. Experienced, well-qualified and specially trained staff assist the Principal and Headmaster in teaching the usual school subjects in a well balanced curriculum.
Please telephone to make an appointment.