Portmeirion was built from 1925 to 1976 by visionary Welsh architect Sir Clough Williams-Ellis, who wanted to prove that development need not mean defilement. All the cottages in the village are let as rooms and suites as part of the Hotel Portmeirion or as self-catering cottages sleeping up to 8 people. The village has several cafes and eight different shops.
Many know Portmeirion as the location for Patrick McGoohan's classic "The Prisoner" television series. It is also known for the Portmeirion Pottery, designed by Clough's daughter Susan Williams-Ellis. A new contemporary styled brasserie opened at Castell Deudraeth in 2001.
Portmeirion is signposted from the A487 at Minffordd midway between Penrhyndeudraeth and Porthmadog.